Emerald is one of the most beautiful and natural gemstone that have long been valued across all cultures of the world. The vibrant green color of the emerald is known to have a hypnotic effect on anyone who looks at it directly. It is therefore no wonder that most royal families over the years have had emeralds in their personal collections.
Here Are Some Interesting Facts About Emeralds:
- The Emerald is a gemstone that is a type of Beryl.
- Between the years of 1200 and 1500 A.D., the Mesoamerican civilization of the Aztecs held the idea that emerald is Stone of the Earth. They believed that Colombian emerald brought good luck and fertility.
- Unlike some of the other types of stones found on earth, emeralds are available in only a single color, which is green. The richer and deeper its color, the greater is the overall value of this stone.
- The Greeks and Romans believed that emeralds could not only give the power of eloquent speaking but also had the ability to bring out the truth.
- The density of emeralds is lower than that of the diamonds. Hence an emerald of one-carat size seems larger than a 1-carat diamond.
- The emeralds were also highly revered in Egypt and Queen Cleopatra had a strong love for these green gemstones.
- Oils and resins were used during ancient times for treating the scratches forming on the surface of the emeralds.
- The oldest specimens of emeralds are more than 2.96 billion years old.
- The name of Emerald has been derived from Greek and Latin words which signify “green gem.”
- In most cases, natural emerald gemstone are treated before they are sold to buyers in order to remove the scratches from their surfaces.
- According to ancient folklore, it is believed that putting an emerald stone right under one’s tongue can enable a person to tell the truth, foresee the incidents of the future and also stay protected against all kinds of evil spells.
- The Christians associated emeralds to Lucifer or the Devil during the medieval times.
- In nature, the emeralds are hardly ever found alone. These gemstones mostly occur alongside deposits of quartz.
- The emerald stones can be used for the treatment of skin conditions, nervous disorders, and speech-related problems.
- Emeralds have some amounts of vanadium and/or chromium which produce their distinct green color.
- In 2011, the stunningly beautiful emerald pendant that was worn by Elizabeth Taylor was sold for $6.5 million.
If you are keen on getting emeralds for your personal collection, you must visit a reputed online website that can let you know everything about the price of gemstones in India. Learning about gemstones prices is the first step towards purchasing them. You can also explore the different types of emeralds that they have to offer so that you can buy the finest specimens.